John Ratcliffe married Ravensworth leaseholder Ann Moxley about 1750. He leased land in Parcel 1.1 in 1767 and in Parcel 1.2 in 1773, the only person identified so far with leases in both the north and south parts of Ravensworth. Their son, Richard Ratcliffe, purchased 1000 Ravensworth acres (Parcel 184.108.40.206) in 1798. A prominent county official, Richard successfully promoted moving the Fairfax Courthouse from Alexandria to land he provided and establishing the Town of Providence (today’s City of Fairfax ) adjacent to the courthouse. In a controversial decision, the route of the Little River Turnpike, then under construction, would access the new courthouse and bypass Centreville.