Richard Lane received a license “to keep an Ordinary at his house” in April 1800. Lane’s location was marked on the “Alexandria Road” on the 1792 survey plat that divided Parcel 1.1. The location appears to have been about the same as Hollis’ Ordinary of 40 years earlier – the intersection of the Mountain Road (today’s Braddock Road) and the road to the Pohick tobacco warehouse (today’s Rolling Road). Court records as early as July 1791 associate Richard Lane with this location but do not include a recorded lease.1

In an April 30, 1802 letter, Thomas Jefferson refers to “Lane’s on Centreville road” as a landmark when travelling through Ravensworth and locates it one mile from Richard Fitzhugh’s.2


  1. Beth Mitchell, Fairfax County Road Orders, 1749-1800, 248 and 509.
  2. The Virginia Magazine of History and Biography, Vol. 48, No. 2 (Apr., 1940), Virginia Historical Society, 98, accessed via