Few historically significant landmarks survive today within and near Ravensworth’s original borders. A few more are remembered by historical signs placed near their former locations.
Click an icon to pop-up a short summary of the landmark and a hyperlink to the landmark’s full content page. Not all of the landmarks presented below appear in the map.
Click here to view full page map.
- Fairfax County Courthouse – The county court moved from Alexandria to its present location in 1800.
- Early Diverse Oak Hill Neighborhood – Post Civil War community was home to both African Americans and Caucasians.
- Town of Providence – Providence evolved to become today’s City of Fairfax and is its Old Town center.
Fitzhugh Residences – After 1783, several Fitzhugh family members settled on their inherited Ravensworth property and either built or occupied existing houses for their residences. Locator map
- Fountainbleau – Built by Mordecai Fitzhugh sometime between 1804 and 1832; destroyed by fire before 1870 and rebuilt by his descendants
- Giles Fitzhugh’s house
- Oak Hill – Sole survivor of Ravensworth’s three manor houses, built c.1790 by Richard Fitzhugh
- Ossian Hall – Built c.1783 by Nicholas Fitzhugh; destroyed in 1959 to make way for building new houses
- Ravensworth Mansion – Largest of Ravensworth manor houses, built c.1796 by William Fitzhugh (of Chatham); destroyed by fire in 1926
- Potts-Fitzhugh House – William Fitzhugh (of Chatham)’s 1790s Alexandria townhouse (now a private residence) is also known as the Robert E. Lee Boyhood Home – a legacy of the Lee family’s residence there in his youth. Potts-Fitzhugh House (Library of Congress)
The Fairfax County Court granted permits for mills, which were established on larger streams. This early industry converted the energy of running water to power machinery for milling grain and other purposes.
- Payne’s Mill / Rock Hill Grist Mill – Accotink Creek mill operated from 1758 to late 1800s.
Ordinaries and Taverns
The Fairfax County Court licensed individuals to operate a business providing lodging and food to the public. Licenses were for one year and required a security bond. Two recent issues of Fairfax Circuit Court Historic Records Center’s newsletter, Found in the Archives, examine the importance of ordinaries and taverns in everyday life: Ordinaries and Taverns and Ordinaries and Taverns, Part II
- Gooding’s Tavern (1807-1879) – a prominent landmark on Little River Turnpike and several times the site of Civil War hostilities.
- Hollis’ Ordinary – Operated c.1760 to ?.
- Lane’s Ordinary – Operated c.1800 on or near former Hollis site.
- Price’s Ordinary – Operated 1773 – 1790s.
- Manassas Gap Railroad – Connected Alexandria to Shenandoah Valley via Orange and Alexandria Railroad tracks to Manassas. Construction of MGRR’s Independent Line roadbed through Fairfax County, intended to replace the Alexandria – Manassas link, never completed due to Civil War.
- Orange and Alexandria Railroad – Built between 1850 and 1854, connecting Alexandria to Gordonsville; VA.
Roads are perhaps the most durable landmarks; several are routes laid down in the 18th century, which were the major highways of that era.
- Roads Circa 1800
- Little River Turnpike – 34-mile toll road built 1803 – 1810/12 from Alexandria to the Little River ford in Aldie, VA.
- Middle Turnpike – Mordecai Fitzhugh and Augustine Smith, as commissioners, guided early efforts to build Middle Turnpike, today’s Leesburg Pike, VA State Route 7. (Middle Turnpike and Leesburg Turnpike: Remnants of an Early Road – by Debbie Robison, Northern Virginia History Notes)