Chain of Ownership and Division
Mordecai Fitzhugh inherited this parcel following the death of his father, Henry Fitzhugh (Colonel), in 1783. In July 1798, he and his brother Giles Fitzhugh sold/exchanged their Ravensworth lands with Giles receiving this parcel. It is Lot 3 of seven lots created by deed A2:186 in the division of parcel 1.1 (Ravensworth North) among Mordecai, Giles and three more brothers.
Giles’ “small while house”
By 1804 and perhaps earlier, Giles had established his residence here. An 1804 letter and map by his brother Nicholas Fitzhugh located Giles’ house on “the Alexandria or Court house road…, which is a small white House surrounded by trees.” The location of the house – marked on this map – is believed to have been in or near the triangle formed by today’s Annandale and Gallows roads and Columbia Pike. The survey plat in deed A2:186 that created parcel 1.1.3 shows a building already existing in 1792 in this location, which may possibly be the house.
The 1810 federal census recorded Giles Fitzhugh’s Fairfax County household as including himself, one free black and 34 enslaved people.1 Thus we know he lived on and likely farmed a portion of his Ravensworth land with slave labor for several years. But this ended by 1814 when he had sold all his land.
Division of Parcel 1.1.3
(partial, pending further research)
By the end of 1805, Giles had sold almost one third of his land to Nicholas Fitzhugh in two sales of 620 acres (parcel 126.96.36.199) and 69.5 acres (parcel 188.8.131.52). By 1814, the residual 1626 acres had gone in a sale to Andrew Scholfield and Jonathan Scholfield. The Scholfields financed their purchase with three promissory bonds secured by a trust held by Nicholas Fitzhugh.
The deeds that created parcel 184.108.40.206 and the residual of 1.1.3 have been lost. What is known about them has been developed from Nicholas Fitzhugh’s will and later deeds issued when new owners divided and sold portions of the land. Their boundaries are likely less precise than if they had been mapped from metes and bounds stated in the lost deeds that created them.
The sale to the Scholfields is believed to have occurred by 1814, even though the few deeds from lost deed book Q2 that have been dated are in the 1816 – 1818 range. This conclusion is supported by evidence in deed D3:560 that Jonathan Scholfield sold 60 acres from this parcel to William Gooding, Jr. in 1814, where Gooding was already residing and operating Gooding’s Tavern. It’s not unusal for a deed to have been recorded even several years after the parties had agreed and signed.
Parcel 1.1.3 Chain of Ownership Documents
|A2:186||7/11/1797||Court||Nicholas, Richard, Mordecai, Battaile & Giles Fitzhugh||1.1.1 - 1.1.7||Survey (1792) and plat for divison of parcel 1.1 into seven parcels bequeathed to these five youngest sons of Henry Fitzhugh (Colonel) (died 1783)|
|A2:465||7/6/1798||Mordecai Fitzhugh||Giles Fitzhugh||1.1.3||Sale 2291 acres|
|D2:149||c. 1805||Giles Fitzhugh||Nicholas Fitzhugh||220.127.116.11||Sale about 620 acres. Deed D2:149 lost; location and boundaries determined from Nicholas Fitzhugh's will K1:283 and several deeds for sale of land he bequeathed to his sons.|
|G2:297||12/8/1805||Giles Fitzhugh||Nicholas Fitzhugh||18.104.22.168||Sale 69.5 acres bordering Backlick Rd and Little River Turnpike|
|Q2:140||c. 1814||Giles Fitzhugh||Andrew Scholfield & Jonathan Scholfield||1.1.3||Sale residual 1626 acres. Deed lost; see especially deed V2:21. Scholfields financed with promissory bonds secured by trust held by Nicholas Fitzhugh. Location and boundaries determined by placement of parcels 22.214.171.124 & 126.96.36.199.|
- 1810 U.S. Federal Census (Population Schedule), Fairfax, Virginia, Page 195, Giles Fitzhugh household, jpeg image, (Online: Ancestry.com Operations Inc., 2010), Digital scan of original records in the National Archives, Washington, DC, subscription database, http://www.ancestry.com/, accessed 6 July 2010. ↩