(page in development)
The north section of Ravensworth (north of Braddock Road) continued to divide sooner and faster than the south section. In 1797, Battaile Fitzhugh sold all of his land (parcels 1.1.1 and 1.1.7) to the same investors, who sought profits by quickly reselling. In 1814, Giles Fitzhugh had sold his land (Parcel 1.1.3), much of it to investors also. Nicholas Fitzhugh died that same year, his land (parcels 1.1.2 and 1.1.6) either sold previously or divided among his numerous heirs. Only Richard Fitzhugh’s Parcel 1.1.4 and Mordecai Fitzhugh’s Parcel 1.1.5 stayed largely undivided into the late 1850s.
The changes that created new fourth generation parcels are summarized in the sections below. Follow the link for each parent parcel for a fuller account.
- Parcel 126.96.36.199 – 600 acres sold/traded to Giles Fitzhugh; land merged into Parcel 1.1.5
- Parcel 188.8.131.52 – 820 acres to Henry Rose in partition between Rose and Smith
- Parcel 184.108.40.206 – 857 acres to Augustine Smith in partition between Rose and Smith
In 1804, Nicholas Fitzhugh sold 80 percent of the land to Dr. David Stuart. The parcel was enlarged in 1833 by new owners Stephenson Scott and William Stephenson Scott, who purchased the land Fitzhugh had retained and plus additional acres.
- Parcel 220.127.116.11 – Fitzhugh retained 231 acres to which he added 360 more by mergers with Parcel 18.104.22.168.1 and Parcel 22.214.171.124
- Parcel 126.96.36.199 – 150 acres, retained by Stephenson Scott in sale of parent parcel in September 1838 to William, Thomas and Henry Steers.
- Parcel 188.8.131.52 – 125 acres sold to Issac Newcomb in about 1842 by new owners Thomas and Jane Crux
- Parcel 184.108.40.206 – 420 acres retained by the Crux
- Parcel 220.127.116.11 – 528 acres, remainder of parent parcel, which the Crux sold in October 1843 to Francis Dickins
Giles Fitzhugh received this parcel in a sale/exchange of land with his brother Mordecai Fitzhugh. By 1814, Giles had sold all of the land and moved away. Investors Andrew Scholfield and Jonathan Scholfield purchased 1626 acres, which they sought to resell for profit.
- Parcel 18.104.22.168 – 620 acres Giles sold in about 1805 to his brother Nicholas Fitzhugh
- Parcel 22.214.171.124 – 70 acres Giles sold in 1805 also to Nicholas
- Parcel 126.96.36.199 – 60 acres sold in 1814 by Jonathan Scholfield to William Gooding, Jr.
- Parcel 188.8.131.52 – 294 acres by partition in 1814 to Andrew Scholfield; remainder of unsold land to Jonathan Scholfield
- Parcel 184.108.40.206 – 100 acres sold in 1821 by Jonathan Scholfield to William Gooding, Jr.
- Parcels 220.127.116.11 and 18.104.22.168 – 214 acres in two lots sold in 1839 by John Lloyd to William H. Gooding
- (Further division of this parcel pending research)
Except for 120 acres that he sold before dying in 1821, Richard Fitzhugh bequeathed the land to his widow Susannah Fitzhugh for her life and later distribution to his heirs. In 1857, after Susannah died, the Fairfax County Court divided it among four living children, the estate of a fifth and a grandson.
- Parcel 22.214.171.124 – 120 acres sold to Charles Noland in 1816
- Parcel 126.96.36.199 – 352 acres to Maria M. Fitzhugh
- Parcel 188.8.131.52 – 345 acres, including Oak Hill, to David Fitzhugh
- Parcel 184.108.40.206 – 368 acres to Ann F. (Fitzhugh) Battaile
- Parcel 220.127.116.11 – 399 acres to grandson William Marbury Fitzhugh
- Parcel 18.104.22.168 – 501 acres to Harriet (Fitzhugh) and Berkley Ward
- Parcel 22.214.171.124 – 497 acres to H.A. White, Executor of will of Caroline B. (Fitzhugh) White
Mordecai Fitzhugh received this parcel, enlarged with the addition of Parcel 126.96.36.199, in 1798 in a sale/exchange of land with his brother Giles Fitzhugh. Except for two sales, it was divided by the Fairfax County Court among his widow and their children, after Mordecai died in 1858.
- Parcel 188.8.131.52 – 25 acres sold to Colonel William Payne, site of Payne’s Mill on Accotink Creek. With this April 12, 1797 sale, Colonel Payne became the first Ravensworth landowner outside the Fitzhugh family. (Sale occurred before the sale/exchange from Giles to Mordecai.)
- Parcel 184.108.40.206 – 196 acres sold to Nicholas Fitzhugh; land merged into Parcel 1.1.6.
- Parcel 220.127.116.11 – 375 acres to Frances T. Fitzhugh, widow’s dower including house – Fountainbleau
- Parcel 18.104.22.168 – 217 acres to Henrietta (Fitzhugh) Swann
- Parcel 22.214.171.124 – 174 acres to Mary Ann (Fitzhugh) Mason
- Parcel 126.96.36.199 – 163 acres to Fenton M. Fitzhugh
- Parcel 188.8.131.52 – 189 acres to Amanda M. (Fitzhugh) Gooding
- Parcel 184.108.40.206 – 200 acres to Frances M. (Fitzhugh) & Sanford Hutchison
- Parcel 220.127.116.11 – 215 acres to Lucinda (Fitzhugh) Henry
- Parcel 18.104.22.168 – 284 acres to Juliana (Fitzhugh) Slade
- Parcel 22.214.171.124 – 267 acres to Edwin C. Fitzhugh
Nicholas Fitzhugh substantially enlarged this parcel with three purchases of adjacent land from his brothers: parcels 126.96.36.199, 188.8.131.52 and 184.108.40.206. From it he sold four tracts and, dying in 1814, bequeathed the remaining land to his five living sons.
- Parcel 220.127.116.11 – 53 acres sold in about 1802 to the Fairfax County Court for the benefit of the poor
- Parcel 18.104.22.168 – 208 acres sold in 1807 to Price Skinner
- Parcel 22.214.171.124 – 64 acres sold in 1811 to Lachlan McIntosh
- Parcel 126.96.36.199 – 98 acres sold in 1813 to Gerard Huntt
- Parcel 188.8.131.52 – 240 acres to Edmund Fitzhugh
- Parcel 184.108.40.206 – 316 acres to Augustine Fitzhugh
- Parcel 220.127.116.11 – 40 acres to Augustine Fitzhugh
- Parcel 18.104.22.168 – 396 acres to Lawrence Fitzhugh
- Parcel 22.214.171.124 – 386 acres to Charles Fitzhugh
- Parcel 126.96.36.199 – 405 acres to Henry W. Fitzhugh
Battaile Fitzhugh received this parcel in a sale/exchange of land with his brother Giles Fitzhugh in 1796. He sold 141 acres to his brother Nicholas Fitzhugh, and the remaining acres in September 1797 to doctors Henry Rose and Augustine Smith.
- Parcel 188.8.131.52 – 141 acres sold to Nicholas Fitzhugh; merged with Parcel 1.1.6
- Parcel 184.108.40.206 – 202 acres sold by Rose and Smith to Joseph Smith in November 1797
- Parcel 220.127.116.11 – 1000 acres sold by Rose and Smith to Richard Ratcliffe in October 1798
- Parcel 18.104.22.168 – 100 acres jointly retained by Rose and Smith